Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Preparation

What in the world... I haven't posted in so long and now I gots too much junk to tell you in one post! I'm going to just stay calm.


Hey what's up.

Ok, so did I tell about all the fun gear I got for my fieldwork?? The answer is no I haven'ttttt!!!! I will tell.
Dad and I went to REI a few weeks ago, but we mostly just went to Target. REI is just plain ridiculous.
GET THE GEAR!!!!
Items acquired include:
-2 water bottles
-composition notebook (blue)
-2 pairs of hiking socks
-hiking boots (extremely ugly)
-medicines for tummy and itches
-panties and sports bras (cool/cute)
-3 pairs of long nylon pants
-fanny pack (DUH, u think I'm a loser?)
-HEAD LAMP, Y'ALL
-backpack (complete with chest strap)
-1 million tampons
-other hygiene junk
-mosquito net
-a stocking filled with gingerbread men

The last item I acquired was a ridiculous explorer hat thing that my dad purchased for hisownself last year for fieldwork in Madagascar. :-) I thought it was pretty awesome that he was kinda "passing it down".... Sometimes I wear it around.

OKAY ANYWAYS.
So lately I've been reading some literature about monkeys. But lets get real- CAN WE JUST LEAVE!???!

Two extremely important things happened today.
The second important thing was that CURO had a reception for all if the summer fellows. (I think "fellow" is a ridiculous term for what I am. Like, are we British or something?) I was about 30 minutes late because the 1st important thing today took way too long. But, the important part of this reception was the fact that DOROTHY FRAGASZY was my date. She is the director of the Primate Behavior Laboratory here at UGA. She is basically a big deal. She is also going on the trip with us. By that, I mean- she is in charge of everything. So, she and I chilled out and spoke about monkeys. I asked questions. I was really nervous... But i was not as nervous DURING the reception as I was the night before the reception. And that is because I figured that if I survived the 1st important thing of the day, then I could definitely survive this 2nd one. And it turned out just fine. Here is an excerpt of our convo:
Me: "So, is it difficult to learn all the names of the monkeys?"
Doree: "Oh, no. They are all quite different!! You will pick up the differences. Well, except for the pair of twins. They look exactly alike. They are 4 years old now."
WILD MONKEYS. WHAT.

Oh, so the 1st important thing is not gonna be talked about yet because a) I am superstitious of speaking about it until I get complete confirmation, and b) I like to be dramatic.

Oh shoot, I forgot to tell about the extremely emotional few hours of self realization that I had on Saturday. Ughhhh I don't wanna do that on this post. It should have its own post. It deserves that. DESERVES!!!

Lol what if I wrote an entire post about my serious feelings about the Boston bombings? Don't worry, I won't. Y'all wouldn't like me anymore.

Baaahahha.

Sorry if this was boring. I gotta go IMMEDIATELY BYE! Wooooo!





1 comment:

  1. Greatly enjoyed reading. You look great in this photo. I am sure that you will mastered monkey's name and enjoy the trip. Monkeys are not much different from us, that is what I learned from Dr. De Wall's Primate Social Psychology class I am taking. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete