Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 2, woooo

May 17, 2013 Today we followed Jatoba... As best as we could. I'll go ahead and tell ya- I didn't have coffee this morning, so I wasn't as cheerful as the day before. Or energized. But I was never hungry. And my feet didn't hurt near as bad. Jatoba is alpha, as I've said. He is nice to children usually, and took a reeeeally long break atop a tall tree today, so I guess he is nice to stalkers too. Thanks, bud. He is the boss, so he always has to know what everyone is doing constantly. Which isn't a trait that I admire in a person. But I guess that's his job. Whatevs. Two monkeys fell out of trees today. At the same time, one after the other. There was some sort of disagreement. Those little guys just hopped right up back into the tree. So, I was only freaking out for about 5 seconds. Doree (the monkey who is named after Dr. Fragaszy) fell out of a tree yesterday right in front of my dang face. I don't likeeeee. Today Coco came by to chat with me. He is the only monkey who actively pursues social interaction with humans. He mayyyy be my favorite. But I don't even know. We ended up only following the until 2:30 or so because they went up and over a huge cliff that we couldn't possible scale. It was kind of an irritating data collection day because he also lost Jatoba and half the group at some point after the long rest. The foliage was way thick and the ground was so rocky... It was much worst than yesterday. But, after we lost the monkeys we went straight to the phonebooth since we were already over in that direction. We were sweating so hard way up there. Allison Schmitt coulda swam... Ok nevermind. Anyways, I was freaking hot. And exhausted. I didn't get to practice so much Portuguese today, unfortunately. Just cuz it was hard to walk in the forest and cuz Allison was trying a more difficult system of data collection; I didn't wanna bother her. Tomorrow, guess what! It's the weekend!! So that means no monkey tracking, plus I think I will get to sleep in! I will learn more Portuguese and I will practice juggling. Hopefully play with the boys too. Oh, I almost forgot. Last night I dreamt that a monster was trying to get me. Like, and actual monster. A fictional creature that my mind created while I was asleep was trying to attack me. When was the last time my mind did that!??! Forever ago, I'll tell ya!! I woke up in the night and was like, "wait... Holy crap, what if there were monsters in this forest that we just haven't discovered..." Lol luckily I fell asleep quickly... And woke up as an adult again. So that was good. Tchau! - LA

No comments:

Post a Comment