Sunday, June 9, 2013

Needle Grass is my LIFE

May 21,2013

Today we found those monkeys but mainly the needle grass found us. Needle grass is aptly named for its clever seed dispensary system.... Which destroys all human flesh it encounters. Ok, it isn't THAT dramatic, but listen: The plant's plan is to have its needle-like seed baring leaves stick into passing traffic. Then, whenever the carrier is completely paralyzed by the sharp pains in her hiking boots, she will pluck out the seeds and toss them to the ground where they will sprout up a brand new plant. Hallelujah. Today was hot. Lol. Not funny. We were sweating. But mainly we were following my main buddy Mansinho. I've decided I like him a whole lot. He loves us. Jk, he doesn't give a toot about us. But for real, he was eating a fruit today up in a tree and when he was finished, he tossed the skin down and I caught it. It smelled like hookah. Also, today was the day that Mannie and Another male napped face to face and I almost died from the cuteness. I got an awful picture of it, sadly. We also encountered the wetlands today. Um, that was freaking awful. But we DID have fun climbing over several barbed wire fences. That wasn't sarcastic. We had fun, even though we both acted like it was such a chore. We like being Sporty Spice ;-). Hmm, what else happenedddd...? Oh, one of the monkeys caught a bird today and dang ate it. I was like, 'no way'. It was barbaric! Y'all meat eaters are so wild. Fieldwork Pro-Tip #1: *If you wanna chew gum in the field, chew with your mouth closed. I'm in major love with the reptiles here. Last night, as I was checking my bed for poisonous/deadly spiders, I found the cutest little lizard attached to the wall beside my head. His eyes were so big and sweet looking!! Not "sweet" in a food way, omg. "Sweet" in a 'ahhhh please cuddle me' way. I haz blister. Oh my gosh I just remembered the needle grass. That junk is awful. And you know ya gotta tie your boots up all tight, so when your foot is penetrated by a needle it is a TOTAL hassle, besides the pain. It is 9:00 pm on the dot and I am so sleeeepy. I wanna know if I am losing weight. I'm scared that my will power will lose out by the end of the summer and I will jump onto a foraging monkey to snuggle it like I constantly desire. Quick note: cat+prairie dog+human= Capuchin I need to start taking notes in the field because I always forget what happens by the time I get ready to write these. There was a tiny, lone cactus on our trail up ahead... Me: "omgosh, look!! It is so cute!!.... But also dangerous." Allison: "just like us."

No comments:

Post a Comment