Monday, July 15, 2013

How can one climb a tree with no arms or legs?



 
July 8th, 2013

That's the question I was asking the gods as I peered up at a boa constrictor this morning in the mango trees. This boa was much smaller than the first boa we encountered... But it was still the second largest wild snake I have ever seen.

We spent the day in the wetlands today. Big monkey drama awaits us tomorrow... Chuchu didn't get pregnant- so she is in estrus again!!
This is wonderful because she is quite the skank and it is pretty funny.

Let's seeeee.... What else should I mention? I miss ketchup. I miss human contact. I miss basically flaming hot Cheetos. And a select few of you.

I wonder how much rice I have eaten since I've been here. Y'all, we eat wonderfully. Rice and fruit and veggies! Tomato, cucumber, salad, and potatoes. And that chuchu vegetable that tastes awful. We eat cheese and they eat meat. We have pasta soup sometimes. We eat well! I want to learn how to cook rice when I get home. I'm assuming that you just put rice in a pot with however much water you want and then just boil it. But... I guess I will ask google when I get home.

What is the difference between chuchu and Chuchu? Chuchu is a monkey named after chuchu the awful vegetable. Vegetables don't go into estrus, as far as I know.

I have twenty more days left in this country.... That makes me sorrowful.

I wish with all my heart that you all could see how this big strong jerk alpha male capuchin monkey acts about a few little chunks of banana. The stereotypes are so true- monkeys love bananas... Even kinda rotting ones. Jatoba goes so crazy. It causes such an uproar. I will try to film it.

I got a picture of another species of praying mantis today. That makes a total of three different species so far!

Pro Tip: When there is one thorny vine, there WILL be another close by. Thorny vines are never alone.

Pro Tip: Always carry band-aides in your pack for when you forget the previous Pro Tip.

All the guides call me Pequena, by the way. It means 'small'. Nicknames are so special to me. I really love nicknames. This is one of my favorites.

Tchau, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment