Thursday, July 4, 2013

Random Information


June 28th, 2013

Hannah and Alejandra leave for England tomorrow. Which is sad because I like both of them. Alejandra has the best stories here. And Hannah is super smart and witty. I told Hannah that if she ever finds herself in America needing help or parties- to call me. She said the same for me in England. And I said that I will call her every time I go to Europe for forever. And so that was our convo about that.Also, her brother works with orangutans in Africa. They always need more volunteers. So maybe that can happen one day.... Natalie and I are going to the Women's World Cup in Canada in two summers so if you wanna go, hit us up. We also have lots of other plans. Basically we are friends.I'm not so sure I ever told you about the poisonous snake we ran into about a month ago here in the woods. Maybe I did. Either way, we ran into it and a guide killed it and I touched it. Except.... I just found out this week that he hadn't actually killed it. It was alive when I touched it. Whoops. Someone should let me know when snakes are still alive. Since my eyes aren't good at it.We are constantly thankful for our guides. For instance, the other day we finally got a break from the wetlands, so we were out following our monkey on normal tick-free land. We were chilling watching our monkey eat fruit in a tree when our guide boy told us to watch out for a group of flies that was chilling right next to us. He said we need to stay farther away from that particular fly group because that kind of fly pees on you and stains your skin red. That stain then pops up as blisters that stay around for several days. Oh, thanks, pal. Glad we aren't out here alone. Pee blisters would suck. I've been meaning to share something with all of you Donkey Kong fans. Remember how in Donkey Kong 64 you could get from place to place by jumping from the top of one palm tree to the next? Well- monkeys really do that. I've seen them.And on a more personal level, hey sisters!!- remember how we used to looooooove when someone in the neighborhood would chop one of their trees down? We would climb in the fallen tree all day long pretending we were monkeys! Oh, we used to have so much fun. Wanna know why I thought of that? Because two days ago the monkeys were all hanging out in a fallen tree. I miss you guys. Quick edit though... Remember how we used to eat the leaves of the trees when we pretended to be monkeys?... Well, they don't eat leaves. So that's awkward. These monkeys also don't eat grass like we did either. So there's that. The other day was National Boa Vista Ant Moving Day. Not really... But all of the ants in this town decided to walk all over the place. Literally, everywhere we went there was an ant migration going on. I got bit a few times. So did Allison.All of us are so involved with the monkey group drama. Today a male returned to the group who we thought had finally migrated to another group. Migration at his age is normal... But it seems like something strange went down. And last night at dinner we heard a HUGE fight go down with our monkeys out on the cliff where they were supposed to be sleeping! But they weren't sleeping!! It was past their bedtime and all of a sudden a ruckus! Then Chuchu has a huge gash in her head. Then our group has been split in half allllll day long today. And now we are hearing the monkeys vocalizing out there on the same cliff that they have been on all day. Well, that is- only half of them. Something is going down and we really just don't know what it is. We are very involved. Today has been a weird monkey day. We didn't follow them today, I'm here at the house, but we went out and saw them at the blind- so we know what is going on with them. They are close to the house. Oh well. We may never know what's happening.I wonder if you guys ever stop and wonder what I'm doing during the day. Basically if you do- while you're doing that I am standing out in the Forrest. Just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment