Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pirates and Cannibal Frogs

June 26, 2014

I finished reading "Norwegian Wood" by Murikami. It's my first Murikami novel. It is named after a Beatles song that isn't very good. Regardless, the book was interesting. Actually, it was pretty freaking sad. Depressing. I remained in a gloomy mood for the entire afternoon after I finished it. I kept calling it the 'stupid book' and 'a bunch of sad and gross junk'. But... I guess I haven't stopped thinking about it for the past four days. So, by golly- it was superbly written!! Ahh! I feel like my hip Aunt Hayes and Uncle Jode for reading such a cool book. Shoutout. Oh, but here is the basic theme of the book as quoted:"If you're in pitch blackness, all you can do is sit tight until your eyes get used to the dark."Whatever that means. Sounds like he's suggesting ya just wait around for the sadness to end. I suggest booking a plane ticket to Boa Vista instead. We have been collecting day after day of solid data. Three long and hard days are over. It is Wednesday... So I have two more to go! All three days have been in the wetlands. Allison and I think we average 1000 ticks per day. We wipe them off before they bite, of course. But it is kinda funny to think of how many parasites we chill with on the daily. The main thing that happened this week this far is this: So, one of those sweet frogs in our bathroom did the unthinkable. In fact, it was the biggest frog we know. Not the toad, but the green frog. He is a huge green one with big sweet black eyes and a weird back hip cavity thing. He was featured in one if the pictures I've already uploaded. He has been my favorite frog because he is weird and lanky and large enough to cuddle with prolly. There is only one of him. As in, we like, KNOW him. Or, at least we THOUGHT we knew him.... We were all watching Pirates of the Caribbean on Yonat's laptop. This movie was incredible A) because everyone knows it is incredible and B) because we haven't had much exposure to media in the past month and a half. We were really enjoying this movie, y'all. Then, Natalie gets up to go use the restroom like anyone else would... But five seconds later she is back on the veranda with us asking this question in the most nonchalant and calm tone of voice: "Hey you guys? Do frogs eat other frogs?" We were totally baffled. What the heck? Where did that come from? Of course frogs don't eat frogs; they eat bugs. Flys, with their tongues shooting out their mouths. Geez, duh, Natalie. Then she starts sprinting for her camera shouting, "Y'ALL COME TO THE BATHROOM THEN!!" So we paused that billion dollar Disney film and ran the the potty room. And in the sink we see the large neighborhood green cute innocent frog with ANOTHER SWEET MEDIUM-SIZED FROG DANGLING IN HIS MOUTH. They were in our sink. This dude was chomping on his own kind. Oh my goddddddd it was a sight to see. I don't know what got into him. The amphibious predator had this frog upside down hanging halfway out of his mouth. The prey was kicking his legs all about... And has his front leg and hand sticking out if the predator's EAR HOLE. I have pictures. And videos. Y'all, we were dying. We were just hootin' and hollerin'. Every time either of the frogs would jolt or jump we would scream like baby schoolgirls. It was so gross. I couldn't believe I screamed like I did... Until Natalie explained that it was fun to scream like that. She was totally right.I don't know, maybe you had to have been there to understand how truly gross and surprising the situation was... But basically the lesson I learned is this- just because you spend a month peeing in front of someone doesn't mean they aren't hiding a secret passion for cannibalism from you. You never know what people are really like. That frog is a monster.Lots more has happened. Lucas came back yesterday. The monkeys never fail to entertain. I have reoccurring tick bomb dreams in the mornings... I hope those don't follow me home. My appreciation for nature has skyrocketed since I have been here. I love the sounds here. And the smells. My favorite sound is the sound of the wind coming when we are in the woods. It sounds like a tidal wave up above us. It's neat in that way... Because we can hear the wind swaying and rustling the trees from far, far away... And you can tell it is getting closer. Soon, the tree you're leaning against is swaying in that same wind. The smells are special because we aren't being overloaded with artificial smells constantly... So the air is neutral. You can notice every single time you happen upon a new funky smelling plant. I dunno, I sound like a hippie... But it really is kinda neat being out and away.Look at the news about the riots in Brazil. There are lots. Brazil is heading to the final match of the Confederation Cup this Sunday. Lol that is gonna be exciting. Except... I think we will end up playing Spain... And Spain has better and more honest players than Brazil. SORRY NOT SORRY. Life is about experiences like these. I wanna live my life chasing these kinds of experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment