Monday, July 15, 2013

Observations are complete!




July 9th, 2013

Good morning. I'm not in the woods because guess what!- We are done with the mandatory observations! That doesn't mean we won't be out with the monkeys anymore- that just means that we get a beak today. We will get extra data if time allows. But for now we will do laundry. Also, we gotta go verify some points on her map and make plans for her major banana experiment. Oh, not to mention that I have to collect some data for my own project too ;-). Mainly- I have to get ride of this primatologist's tan and start catching my legs up to my arms before I come home looking like a clown. This will occur up on that cliff right there!

Yesterday we followed a monkey named Teimoso. Now, this is one of those monkeys who lives up to his name-'Scaredy'. He is a huge male. And by that I mean- almost 8 pounds. Lol, anyways... He is Large compared to the others. And he has a big ole face and his mouth hangs open a little bit because I don't know why. Anyways, he is like a teddy bear. So, we were following him around for hours yesterday. He is much more cautious than any of the other males... Except for that he naps at inappropriate times. Like for instance when his entire family was moving away and progressing through the vast forrest. So he was left. Lol and we were also separated because we were being faithful to the data. But we have a high-functioning iPad map... And Teimoso doesn't. So he was scared. And I know that because he told us. As in, he screamed and screamed for his friends. His lost call was tear jerking. He was frantically jumping from one side of the tree to the other trying to find where his friends went. His friends should be calling back, right? Well, all three of us heard NOTHING. He kept calling there for twenty minutes. He would look down at us in the EYES and start his lost call. Then he would turn his head in a direction he hadn't tried yet. After he would call loudddd he would stop and cry softly. So sad omggg. Allison filmed it. But there was never a response. So I went pee over yonder because I figured he was lost for eternity. By the time I return from the outhouse, both Allison and Teimoso are gone!! So I do my own lost call. Found them eventually. Lol Teimoso had finally been reunited. The funny thing about this is that Teimoso wasn't far at all from the group... As in, our guide said he could hear Teimoso calling loud and clear... But that no one replied!!! Hahahaha!!! It was as if Jatoba told his followers, "Do not answer the boy's call. For this will be a lesson in napping at inappropriate times."

I've read June 12th's Twitter feed and Facebook page almost twenty times since it was loaded onto my phone that day. Something is up with the Xbox/PS4. That's about all the world news I have heard in two months. Has Jodi Arias been sentenced to be murdered by her state's governing body?

Last night we all watched the first episode of the sixth season of House. This is the episode where he wakes up in the mental/drug rehab facility. An amazing episode. Truly moving. And sad because I KNOW HE DOESN'T END UP BETTER! Anyways, I was prepped by that emotional show for what happened next.
We all went to bed. I climbed into my skeeter net and proceeded to check my blanket and pillow for large animals/spiders like I do every night. And low and behold- I had a surprise under my pillow!!!!!!!! Mara, one of the daughters here, had made me two necklaces out of seeds and braided palm strings!!!! And there was a little note that read- "Surprise! Now you don't have to be jealous anymore." In Portuguese, of course. Omggggg!!!!! Oh, let me explain that note: So, she and Natalie work together in the woods everyday. And one day Natalie was wearing a new beautiful necklace that Mara had made her. I ranted and raved about its beauty. "Omgg I'm so jealous," I mentioned. So, even though I think that had something to do with my surprise... I still was overwhelmed by how sweet of her it was to sit down and make that for me. Emphasis on 'overwhelmed'. Also, Natalie just told me that Mara had been planning to make me one all along. But, I don't know. It doesn't matter. It was very nice.
Looking at my reaction to that necklace, you woulda thought we just found out she was the donor I needed and that her left kidney was laying there under my pillow. She made one that was girly, and one that was less girly. Which is very observant and sweet.

People are so nice sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment